This Victorian-style home was built in 1870 by Henry Orman for Thomas Wetzler, the editor of the Lancaster Daily Eagle. The Wetzlers lived in the home until 1953.
The Italianate style flat roof home, with ornamental cornice supported by many brackets, shaped window hoods, and door frames are typical of this style home. The iron fence dates back to 1823 (unsure where this fence originally came from or who the manufacturer was.)
In 1958 the First Presbyterian Church purchased the home from the late Wardell Adolph for $28,000 for use as a new manse (residence for the minister). Reverend Trousdale resided here with his family.
The home was restored in 1972 by Sam Hurley, treasurer of Anchor Hocking, when he purchased it. On the inside, he replaced ceilings, opened up the fireplaces, and relocated the back stairs. In 1990 the Hurleys removed the large front porch and constructed a smaller porch that closely matched the original porch on the house in 1870.
The home is a private residence.
148 East Wheeling Street, Lancaster, Ohio 43130, United States of America