The house at 137 E. Wheeling St. in Lancaster, Ohio.
Art & Culture

Deppe – Ellis – Heisey Home: 137 East Wheeling Street


This is one of the oldest homes in Square 13. The original hand-hewn log home is believed to have been built around 1818.

In 1833, pioneer doctor, Julius Deppe built a two-story frame home around the original logs. In 1837, the front section, with its graceful stairway and woodwork, was added by artisan, John B. Reed.

The board and batten carriage house in the rear of the home was built about 1870. It had stalls to hold six horses and living quarters for the coachman.

The home has had several owners through the years including Duke Ellis, photographer for the Lancaster Eagle Gazette.

In 1975, the Heisey family owned the home. They were told about a log structure that the home was built around. One day Mrs. Heisey decided to knock a hole in the wall and that’s when she discovered the logs. Mrs. Heisey and her son, then age 5, spent the rest of the afternoon tearing off wallboard and furring strips, revealing the log cabin wall underneath. The log wall was kept exposed as a focal point in the kitchen. The Heiseys used original floorboards from the attic as flooring on the main level. The ceiling beams were salvaged from another home from the same era that was being torn down. There is also a narrow, steep stairway to the second floor of the log house. During the remodeling process, an electrician discovered that the exterior walls were built on braced-in logs. Also discovered while repapering the front hall was a newspaper dated July 1876 plastered to the wall like wallpaper, along with several other newspapers dating back to the Civil War era.

The backyard has a wonderful garden space.

The home is a private residence.

Share your adventures with #VisitFC