Rising House
Art & Culture

Stanberry – Rising Home: 131 North High Street


The house is of modified Georgian design, similar to the fine old houses of eastern Virginia and Maryland. Built of locally made bricks, it is handsomely embellished with a hand-carved cornice frieze (said to have been inspired by similar ones of Inigo Jones in England.).

The home was built in 1834 for Henry Stanbery who purchased the lot from the widow of Charles Sherman for $250. Stanbery was a law partner with Thomas Ewing.

The next owner was John Brasee, also an attorney, who purchased the home in 1843 and lived there for 14 years. In 1857, Brasee sold the home to Philemon Ewing, the eldest son of Thomas Ewing. The Ewings built a wing onto the house.

Before the turn of the century, Englishman John Denman purchased the home from the Ewings. His daughter inherited the home upon his death in 1923. The house stood empty and neglected from 1923-1937.

In 1937, Russell Rising purchased the home and restored it. Broad gables, that were installed by the Ewings, were replaced by more appropriate dormers, and with original window glass installed all around. Where the Victorian porch had been, was replaced by a formal entryway. A classic stairway was built and a breakfast room added. When the narrow hardwood floors were pulled, the original pine boards underneath were found to be in excellent condition. The woodwork throughout the house was still intact. The kitchen was thought to be the oldest part of the house, due to findings during the renovations. Saplings supported the kitchen roof. They are believed to have been cut from the land the house was built on. Today that same kitchen has been modernized.

In 1947, the First Methodist Church of Lancaster became the new owners of the home. It was used for meetings and church school space. In 2022 the First United Methodist Church sold the home and it is now a private residence.

Sherman Trail: Built in 1834 for Henry Stanberry, a new law partner of Thomas Ewing. Stanberry served as Ohio’s first Attorney General and then Attorney General for Andrew Johnson. It became the home of Philemon Ewing, Senator Ewing’s oldest son. Henry Stanberry helped General Sherman’s mom out when his father Charles passed away. Philemon Ewing was “Cump’s” foster brother when he lived with the Ewings. Phil Ewing was one of General Sherman’s best friends. Ewing defended Sherman when he was accused of being insane.

Share your adventures with #VisitFC